Monday, 18 April 2011

I sing, because I'm happy. I sing, because I'm freeee!


*Takes a deep breath* MUSIC!

This is a big one for me, for sure.

As a kid, I grew up on blues and rock from my Dad's music collection, and jazz, Motown, soul and disco from my mum's collection. According to mum, music has always touched me - even as a baby I sat in front of the telly crying to a song about a Bookworm! Bless.

So what influences me now? Well, I have to say blues is still very much a part of my genetics. It's in my blood. I'll always listen to blues. Jazz is also a passion of mine.

I find that my influence in music has been a great addition to my passion for fashion - the two often go hand in hand and some of the greatest musicians came from the 40's and 50's.

People of note in my musical taste are:
The Andrews Sisters.
Ray Charles.
John Lee Hooker.
Billie Holiday.
John Mayall.
Nina Simone.
Etta James.
Ella Fitzgerald.
Peggy Lee.

However, my absolute IDOL would be a gorgeous Irish lady called Imelda May. She's a rockabilly, blues and jazz singer, and sh
e is absolutely incredible. Every time I see her live, the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Her vocal power is just something else. If I could sing like anyone, it would be Imelda May.

Imelda played the Roundhouse in Camden on St Patrick's day (last month) and the night was incredible. As it was St Patrick's night, we were in for a treat, we had Paul Brady AND Jeff Beck grace us with their presence. It was truly awe inspiring. I managed to get a couple of pictures during the night, from my iPhone, but they're not that great. I'll post them anyway!




I was lucky enough to meet Imelda May, backstage at the Colne Rhythm and Blues Festival in 2010. She was as lovely in person, as she seems on stage and is so tiny! She complimented me on my 50's style leopard print dress! (Scuse the ginger hair, I was going through an early mid-life crisis at that point in time! lol). But so cute <3









No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena