Tuesday, 19 April 2011

"...the most important thing a woman can have - next to talent, of course - is her hairdresser."

....And I agree with Joan Crawford on that one, however, trying to find a decent hairdresser is like trying to get blood out of a stone. Therefore, I've become my own stylist. Obviously, I can't cut my own hair, but I can become my own stylist!

It wasn't an outright decision in the beginning, it just sort of happened. As I picked up a pack of bobby pins (kirby grips) I thought, 'I know, I'll see if I can make a victory roll' - so I got onto youtube and searched 'victory rolls'. I won't lie - it was bloody difficult to begin with. A victory roll is not an easy thing to master, however, once you have mastered the art of rolling, it will be with you for life!

So, I taught myself the art of victory rolls and I knew I wanted to take it further, so I started a collection of scarves for my hair. I'd seen those images of Rosie the Riveter and it's always interested me, so I thought I'd try and emulate it. I now have around 20 scarves, mostly made of silk, in varying colours and patterns. Even a blue leopard print scarf that I picked up in a vintage shop for 50 pence! In fact, most of my scarves were bought from charity shops for 50 pence or one pound each.

Next came the book. And by THE book, I mean Lauren Rennells' book 'Vintage Hairstyling'. My wonderfully gorgeous friend Amy recommended I buy this book, so I got on ebay and paid the small fortune (around £30!) and waited for it to arrive.


The book arrived a couple of days later and I have to say, it was worth the money. I've learnt all about pin curls and the sort-of science behind hair styling. I've gathered all the equipment needed to recreate all the looks in the book for myself.


I often find myself referring back to Vintage Hairstyling when I need some motivation in the morning to put my hair up instead of leaving my hair down.

Obviously, not a very good photograph, but this was the night I did my first attempt at victory rolls.

A few weeks later, and after lots and lots of searching, I bought a snood. It's a reproduction 1940's hair net that the land girls use to keep all their hair protected when working in the fields and factories. For me, it really adds that bit of authenticity to a 40's hairstyle.
I bought mine on eBay, but you can buy hand-crocheted snoods from places like Etsy, though they are more expensive than synthetic ones, but as they're hand made to order, they're that little bit more luxurious. I personally love the snoods with the beads sewn in - adds a bit of glamour, and of course, what girl doesn't love a bit of glamour?



Again, had I known I was going to write a blog, with pictures, I probably would've taken better photographs! Haha. Oh well, these will do. Any new hairstyles I try will be photographed more clearly.

Back when I was 19, I completed a year at college and gained a Diploma in Theatrical and Media Makeup. Included in the syllabus was hair cutting, styling etc and luckily, I still have some of my 'kit' - not all of it, as some of it went on eBay when I was strapped for cash ha. Anyway, I did save one 'training head' so I decided to try and teach myself some new styling techniques.

A vintage hairstyle that had been plaguing me for a while was the 'pompadour' - which to me, seemed like a very complicated style to achieve. So
it took a few attempts and this is what I ended up with....


3 comments:

  1. Oh, your hair looks fabulous! I love the pompadour too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely hair. :) Ohh I really want that book! The price is putting me off (I think it's £22 on Amazon currently but their stock fluctuates) as I'm not fantastic at doing things with my hair and don't want to spend the money on a book I'll seldom use! Do you find the instructions clear enough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah it IS an expensive book, but if you're serious about learning about things like pin curls and the science around them, it's a really helpful book. The pictures are helpful, definitely. This is a book I'll keep forever. I find myself sifting through it just for inspiration and then making up my own hair styles. :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Made by Lena