Monday, 18 April 2011

My first few vintage buys.

There are some places in the world, that you wish you could keep locked away all to yourself. Little treasures or finds that you don't want anyone to know about. I have a few favourite places and I'm going to share them with you, because I'm nice like that. Haha. No, it's because I need to have confidence in myself and not worry about what other people might find. I guess you could say I'm not so good at sharing, so this is my first attempt!

One of my favourite places in the world is Brackley Antique Cellar in Oxfordshire. It's an antique shop, but with a twist - it's a below ground 'warehouse' style store, with many many branches of antique sellers inside. I buy most of my handbags from Brackley; Although, to be fair, the lady who sells the handbags seems to have pushed her prices up somewhat these days. I was paying £12-£18 for a vintage (50's) handbag, but now they're more like £24, which is a bit of a price hike in my opinion, but with the recession, it's somewhat understandable.



This is my favourite handbag so far. It's a genuine Bally handbag, in black suede and leather. It was in immaculate condition and I paid £14 I think, which is extremely reasonable when you compare that to the prices you find in places like Spitalfields in London.

Speaking of London, there are two shops that I could easily call home. They are Rokit and Beyond Retro. As with all vintage shops, there are some real bargains to be had, among the less attractive 70's garb, there are some 40's and 50's gems.

The best tip I could give anyone when vintage clothes shopping is; try everything on. Trust me, sometimes, something will look absolutely hideous on the hanger but look incredible on. So, keep a very very open mind when shopping for vintage clothes, and don't let the smell put you off - dry cleaning is expensive, but if you're serious about buying vintage clothes, it's definitely a must.

Charity shops. These are often stigmatised by some, but to me, they're a necessary part of living life on a budget. I absolutely love rummaging and I love bargains, so what's better than having five shops on one high street, that sell second hand clothes!? It's a gold mine for someone like me.

I remember turning up to school (year 6 I believe) in a faux fur (old lady style) coat. I was ripped ragged by the kids at school because I was honest enough to tell them it was from a charity shop (and cost a tenner too! it wasn't cheap!) and that was the start of my adoration for fur- real and fake.

Now, I know this is a hideously controversial subject. I however, take the stance that if it's vintage, it's fine. I would never buy 'new fur' but once it's been dead for 30 years, me not buying/wearing it isn't going to bring it back from the dead, so it's anyone's game.

Feel free to email me, berating my views on fur, that's fine. It's always interesting to watch the vegetarians complaining about animal rights whilst wearing a pair of leather shoes - double standards, much?

Anyway, I digress...

Vintage; My favourite find has to be my Coney Fur coat, again, bought for a complete steal of £60 from Brackley Antique Cellar.



Whilst we're on the subject of coats/jackets I'll add a picture of my most treasured vintage possession. It's a very large and spacious leopard print coat. I bought it from a work colleague who was about to put it up for sale on ebay! She wanted £15 for it, and of course, I happily obliged. As it's massive (it says size 14) it looks great cinced in with a waist belt, or left open as it has a gorgeous 'drape' to it. It feels divine too, not all cheap like the typical Topshop faux fur coats.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena