Friday, 10 June 2011

I'm now a semi-professional photographer, it seems.

It's been an amazing few days indeed.

I'll start from Saturday! A few months ago, I was asked to be the photographer at a friend's wedding on 4th June. I agreed, with some trepidation of course but was excited to see what I could pull out of the hat. I'd never photographed a wedding before and I can say I was definitely nervous about being responsible for the happy couples' wedding photos! They were desperate for a photographer, and as they're a young couple starting out, they didn't have the funds for a full-on wedding photographer - nor were they the sort of couple who wanted hugely staged photos. Candid shots were what they were after, so I thought 'yeah, why not!' and I agreed.

My late Grandfather (bless his soul) was a keen amateur photographer, who also owned an Aladdin's Cave junk shop where he fixed cameras and built them too. I'd grown up with a Grandfather and Father who are both amateur film photographers, so it was only natural to be curious about my own possible 'genetic' talents with a camera.

I myself don't have a massive collection of cameras - and I am now of the digital age, unlike my Dad and his Dad. So I have what I call 'my baby' - it's a Fujifilm Finepix S9000 and I love it. It takes amazing pictures. 

The wedding was lovely and after a glass of wine at the reception I found it much easier to photograph people, the Best Man even took me round the reception getting everyone to pose for me. The help was much appreciated indeed!

So I got home after the Couple had left the party, after 2 large glasses of wine and my first ever Tequila slammer (thanks to a lovely gentleman I met at the reception!) I staggered home with my camera in tow. Not very professional, but I did manage to capture some very funny moments of the bride's sister and a few party people who were very inebriated! 

The pictures came out really well, and they're sat on my computer waiting for the couple to see them and get them all printed. So, after my first attempt (and possibly my last!) at wedding photography, I can say I'm very happy with the results. I just hope Holly and Simon like them! 

So yes, this blog post is dedicated to my late Grandfather, who always inspired me as a child, and I'm sure he'd be proud of me for taking on such a huge photography project - he always turned down weddings, as he never had the courage, so Grandad, this one's for you xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena