Friday, 8 July 2011

Most recent purchases

Last weekend Mumma and I took a road trip down to London (as we do!) and I picked up a couple of vintage bits for my collection. We took a stroll down Camden and found a lovely hidden vintage/thrift store where I picked up this gorgeous 1940's original tea dress!






Sadly it was around 6 o'clock by the time we found this amazing shop called St Cyr Vintage. Instantly, I fell in love with a 1940's beige suit jacket with a black lambs' fur collar and cuffs. I had a bit of a chat with the lovely guy behind the counter and he said it's 'very small' and that lots of people had tried it on and... I added 'failed' to his sentence - you could tell that's where he was going but I beat him to the punch as it were, with a giggle!
So with bated breath I tried on this breath-takingly gorgeous jacket, and lo and behold it fits like a glove!
It wasn't until my Mumma spotted two rather obvious green stains on both shoulders, that my heart sank. We uhmed and arghed over it for a while, and concluded that Jessica was going to take the jacket to her local dry cleaners for their opinion on removing these stains. She said she'd give me a call to let me know of the outcome.


I had a phonecall from Jessica yesterday, and to my utter sadness, the stains are permanent damage to the jacket and would require the jacket to be re-dyed. As with all vintage clothes, you win some, you lose some and that was a very sad defeat. 

I try to maintain a certain level of tidiness with my personal vintage collection, so I just couldn't wear this jacket knowing it wasn't in near-perfect condition. *sigh* Oh well, there will always be more vintage to fall in love with, I'm sure.

Alas, my shopping trip to St Cyr Vintage wasn't a total loss, as I picked up these gorgeous dancing shoes for a tenner, and a gorgeous pair of 50's clip on earrings (pic of the earrings to follow!).






As I've said before, I'm a huge advocate for eBay. I had to mention this little tin that a friend of mine bought for me many many years ago, from eBay while I was on holiday to Greece. I don't know if you can still buy these little tins, but I have to show you how cute it is. I use this for painting on my beauty spot - I have a mole there already, so this is perfect for just making it a little bit darker. I only recently noticed how 50's this tin really was! Isn't it gorgeous?


Another of my recent purchases on eBay was this necklace. It features wooden beads with the original clasp, and painted leather flowers and leaves. I've had to take out a few beads as it was such a long necklace, but you'd never know! It's such a fun piece. Looks great with my Collectif Dolores top, Capri's, and espadrilles!


I also grabbed myself two completely divine hand crocheted 1940's snoods.




There's also nothing quite like a stroll around a car boot sale on a Sunday morning, where I picked up some lovely cups and saucers, and hand made them into candles! These will be for sale at some point!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena